STAR Awards Expo
Friday, May 18, 2012
5:30 pm – 9:00 pm
I Hotel and Conference Center
1900 S. First Street, Champaign
On Friday, May 18, 2012, the Neighborhood Services Department and the Neighborhood Services Advisory Board will host the Third Annual Service Together Achieves Results, or STAR Awards Ceremony, to recognize outstanding civic activities of local citizens working to make the City of
Champaign a great place to live, work and play. The eight categories and 2012 nominees are:
1. Business-Neighborhood Partnership Award, with 3 nominees Brain Holding, John Peisker/O’Neil Brothers, William Jones);
2. Community Partner Award, with 7 nominees (Austin’s Place, Campu Community Connections, CommUnity Matters, Adele Suslick, Provena Center for Healthy Aging, Stacy Tutt, Val McWilliams/Land of Lincoln Legal Services);
3. Difference Maker Award, with 6 nominees (Asia Fuller-Hamilton, John Harmon, Nancy Taylor, Nicole Bridges, Sally Carter, Tracy Parish/ARRI Project);
4. Good Neighbor Award with 4 nominees (Arnold Hewitt, Justin Swim, Linda Thiele, Paul and Mary Ann Keith);
5. Neighborhood Leadership Award with 6 nominees (Amy Revilla/Garden Hills Neighborhood Group, Meghan Firchau, Reverend Dr Eugene Barnes, Seon Williams, Sherri Rush, Steve Cochran);
6. Neighborhood of the Year Award with 2 nominees (Draper-Healey Neighborhood Watch and Westfield Eagle Eyes);
7. Neighborhood-Community Building Award with 3 nominees (Mary Howell/Beardsley Park Neighborhood Association, Habitat for Humanity, Green Meadows/Southwood Neighborhood Group); and
8. Rising Star Award with 3 nominees (Taylor Hug, Ranija Turner and University High School Student Group).
This year’s event includes an information resource fair; entertainment provided by the Krannert Center for Performing Arts; and the STAR Awards Ceremony presented by Dave Benton, News Anchor, WCIA News Channel 3.