The City of Champaign Public Works Department is mobilizing resources in preparation for the rainfall that is forecasted to affect our area over the weekend. According to the National Weather Service, heavy rainfall in the amount of six to eight inches and high wind gusts may accompany this storm. Citizens are encouraged to take appropriate precautions when driving as some streets and intersections may contain large amounts of rainfall. Any flooding of streets should be reported to the Public Works Department at 217.403.4700.
The Public Works Department has outlined the following steps in order to prepare for and address the potential rainfall:
- Sweep Streets and clean viaducts in the area bordered by Neil Street, Bradley Avenue, Mattis Avenue, and Windsor Road to remove debris that may cause flooding.
- Monitor and clean inlets of debris in typical flood problem areas.
- Crews have been notified that they may be called in over the weekend to respond to flooding issues.
- Monitor detention basins during the rainfall, utilizing pumps as necessary.
- Citizens are asked to assist with preparation activities by clearing inlets of debris in their neighborhoods.
Public Works staff will continue to proactively monitor forecasts and respond in a timely and efficient manner to threats of inclement weather.