The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency is hosting a household hazardous waste (HHW) collection event on Saturday, September 29, 2012, from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. at The News-Gazette Distribution Center – 3202 Apollo Dr in Champaign. Traffic will enter the event at the intersection of North Market Street and East Olympian Drive in Champaign. The HHW collection event is FREE and open to the public.
Items accepted include –
- Oil-based paint (no latex paint)
- Paint thinner
- Old gasoline
- Pool chemicals
- Cleaning products
- Mercury-containing devices
- Propane tanks
- Household batteries (all types)
- Used motor oil
- Drain cleaners
- Lawn chemicals
- Double-bagged & wetted asbestos
- Hobby chemicals
- Aerosol paint
- Fluorescent lamp tubes and CFL’s (compact fluorescent bulbs)
- Old medicines and pharmaceuticals
- Lead acid batteries (car batteries)
There has not been a hazardous waste collection in the Champaign-Urbana area since 2006 and a large response is anticipated. Participants are encouraged to carpool and combine loads, and be prepared for wait times. Please see this link for additional information: http://www.ccrpc.org/hhw/.
For questions, contact Angela Adams, Recycling Coordinator at 403-4780 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.