The City Council sets the vision for our City and adopts goals to reflect that vision and guide decision-making at all levels of City government. The goal setting process builds Council consensus on policies and projects that impact City residents, businesses and the community as a whole. The Administration uses the City Council vision and goals to set priorities, direct work activities, and allocate staff and financial resources.
City Council Vision
“Champaign is an inclusive community that welcomes all. City residents enjoy a great quality of life, first class educational opportunities and easy mobility. Champaign is a vibrant community with an active center city and healthy neighborhoods. The City is designed for quality and sustainability, and has a growing economy.”
City Council Goals 2011-2013
Goal 1: Our City Fosters Quality of Life for All Citizens
- Encourage development of affordable housing
- Strengthen community service partnerships
- Promote an inclusive, open-minded and progressive community
- Expand the arts and amateur sports
- Increase parks, trails, and open space amenities
- Support the University of Illinois to maintain its flagship campus at Champaign-Urbana
- Enhance family-friendly events, facilities, and services
- Support community partners to strengthen educational opportunities
- Partner with Unit 4 to identify a core city location for the new Central High School.
- Coordinate the Community Coalition to implement initiatives for at-risk youth.
- Complete the North Fourth Street extension project.
- Complete a Comprehensive Affordable Housing Strategy and long-term funding plan.
Goal 2: Our City Provides First-Rate Services
- Assure a safe community and protect the rights of citizens
- Strengthen police-community relations
- Aggressively address aging infrastructure
- Continue to build complete streets
- Support and respond to neighborhood needs
- Maintain fire department responsiveness
- Finish the John Street storm water project.
- Finish Phase 2 of the Washington Street West storm water project.
- Initiate phase 3 of Boneyard storm water improvements.
Goal 3: Our City is Fiscally Responsible
- Maintain a healthy and balanced City budget
- Ensure fair City tax rates and fees
- Maintain a financial model that balances short and long term needs
- Be a leader in intergovernmental and interagency cooperation
- Apply strategies to reduce the cost of providing City services
- Allocate the cost of services to citizens who benefit
- Promote a compact growth pattern to deliver City services efficiently
- Adopt a dedicated funding source for storm water improvements.
- Adopt a dedicated funding source for road maintenance and improvements.
Goal 4: Our City Promotes Economic Opportunity
- Market the City as a tourism destination
- Brand the City as a micro-urban community
- Expand programs for job creation and employment growth
- Attract and retain workforce talent in the community
- Promote opportunities for upward mobility for all citizens
- Advance strategies to benefit low-income neighborhoods
- Adopt forward-thinking growth and development policies
- Create a vibrant downtown
- Maintain the City’s positive business environment
- Increase minority and women-owned business opportunities
- Provide economic incentives to attract and retain businesses.
- Develop workforce development partnerships.
- Implement the Urbana-Champaign Big Broadband (UC2B) project.
- Implement the Infill Development Strategic Plan.
- Expand public-private partnerships to continue the Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Develop a program to increase minority and female participation in City contracts.
Goal 5: Our City is a Model for Environmental Sustainability
- Promote Champaign as a green community
- Encourage the use of alternative modes of transportation
- Recruit and retain innovative green business and industry
- Adopt incentives and regulations to encourage environmental responsibility
- Reduce energy consumed by our City government
- Preserve the Mahomet aquifer as a long-term healthy water supply
- Reduce electric power costs by pursuing electric aggregation
- Expand recycling opportunities
Goal 6: Our City is Committed to Honest, Transparent Government
- Engage the community in City government
- Provide timely and accurate information about City services
- Openly share information about City actions and decisions
- Improve public access to City information
- Continue to Implement the Public Communication Plan.
- Improve citizen access to information on the City’s website and through social media.