Provide Council with your thoughts as they meet soon to establish their 2015-2017 goals for the City. Take this 2-question online survey and provide Council with your valuable input.
The City Council sets the vision for our City and adopts goals to reflect that vision and guide decision-making at all levels of City government. The goal setting process builds Council consensus on policies and projects that impact City residents, businesses and the community as a whole. The Administration uses the City Council vision and goals to set priorities, direct work activities, and allocate staff and financial resources.
City Council Vision
“Champaign is an inclusive community that welcomes all. City residents enjoy a great quality of life, first class educational opportunities and easy mobility. Champaign is a vibrant community with an active center city and healthy neighborhoods. The City is designed for quality and sustainability, and has a growing economy.”
City Council Goals 2013-2015
Goal 1: Our City Fosters Quality of Life for All Citizens
- Encourage development of affordable housing.
- Strengthen community service partnerships.
- Promote an inclusive, open-minded, and progressive community.
- Expand the arts.
- Support the U of I to maintain its flagship campus at Champaign-Urbana.
- Support community partners to strengthen educational opportunities.
- Coordinate the Community Coalition and adopt a plan for long-term sustainability.
- Support the Champaign County Juvenile Assessment Center through collaboration with Community Coalition partners.
- Develop a permanent family emergency shelter in partnership with Champaign County housing service providers.
- Advance the Bristol Place Housing Strategy, including property acquisition, demolition, and planning for new neighborhood development.
Goal 2: Our City Provides First-Rate Services
- Assure a safe community and protect the rights of citizens.
- Continue to strengthen Police-Community relations.
- Aggressively address aging infrastructure.
- Support and respond to neighborhood needs.
- Maintain Fire Department responsiveness.
- Complete construction of the Washington Street West drainage improvements.
- Begin preliminary design and complete property acquisition for the next phase of Boneyard Creek improvements.
- Aggressively address infrastructure maintenance by prioritizing concrete street repairs and asphalt overlays.
Goal 3: Our City is Fiscally Responsible
- Maintain a healthy and balanced City budget.
- Ensure fair City tax rates and fees.
- Maintain a financial model that balances short and long term needs.
- Be a leader in intergovernmental and interagency cooperation.
- Apply strategies to reduce the cost of providing City services.
- Promote compact growth patterns to deliver City services efficiently.
- Adopt a plan to fully fund the City’s pension obligations.
- Implement strategies to promote health care cost containment while continuing to provide competitive benefits for City employees.
- Update the Infill Development Policy to promote compact growth patterns.
Goal 4: Our City Promotes Economic Opportunity
- Market the City as a tourism destination
- Brand the City as a micro-urban community.
- Expand programs for job creation and employment growth.
- Attract and retain workforce talent in the community.
- Advance strategies to benefit low-income neighborhoods.
- Adopt forward-thinking growth and development policies.
- Maintain a vibrant downtown.
- Maintain the City’s positive business environment.
- Increase minority and women-owned business opportunities.
- Promote infill development at the core of the City.
- Create a virtual small business incubator to promote the development of minority and women-owned businesses.
- Expand the local economy by promoting the gigabit internet capacity of UC2B in order to attract and retain businesses.
- Encourage and support the revitalization of commercial property in low-to-moderate income neighborhoods.
Goal 5: Our City is a Model for Environmental Sustainability
- Promote Champaign as a green community.
- Encourage the use of alternate modes of transportation.
- Recruit and retain innovative green business and industry.
- Adopt incentives and regulations to encourage environmental responsibility.
- Continue to reduce energy consumed by our City government.
- Preserve the Mahomet aquifer as a long-term healthy water supply.
- Complete reconstruction of the Windsor Road approaches for the I-57 overpass.
- Upgrade the street and sidewalk infrastructure for the northern portion of the University District.
- Complete the LEED-Neighborhood Development Master Plan for the redevelopment of Bristol Place.
- Utilize Ameren’s Act on Energy program to incentivize residential energy efficiency improvements.
Goal 6: Our City is Committed to Honest, Transparent Government
- Engage the community in City government.
- Provide timely and accurate information about City services.
- Openly share information about City actions, events, and decisions.
- Improve public access to City information.
- Explore and present alternative staffing models to improve public communications.