Liquor Commissioner’s Office

The Liquor Commissioner

The Liquor Commissioner enforces liquor code and Liquor Commissioner rules and serves as the major liquor license contact.  They also play a major role in drafting changes in liquor provisions in the City Code, making suggestions in enforcement policies, and public accountability. They do not determine prosecution of individual criminal violations or manage details of enforcement.

The Deputy Liquor Commissioner

The Deputy Liquor Commissioner works with Police, Legal, and the Mayor’s Office to coordinate implementation of the liquor codes.

Liquor License Applications

Business Application Process

To determine what type of application you need, please review the following documents. It is highly recommended that you do this with the assistance of an attorney.

The following documents describe the different type of liquor license procedures in detail.

Applicant must complete and submit one of the following types of applications by mail or in person to the Liquor Commissioner’s Office on the Second Floor of the City Building, 102 N. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820.

In addition, the applicant must submit:

  • Application Processing Fee of $500
  • Proof of ownership
  • Certificate of insurance
  • Floor and Site plan with architect seal
  • Public Health Permit
  • Use of Force Policy

For corporate applications include a copy of the Secretary of State’s Certificate or Articles of Incorporation. For Class A liquor license applications which claim an exemption to allow those under 19 years of age on the premise for food service, an Application for the Presence of Minors Exemption is also required. Allow 3 weeks for processing after submission of completed application package.

Temporary Application Process

A temporary liquor license is needed if selling alcohol, charging admission to an event that is serving alcohol even if not selling alcohol, or using a caterer without a liquor license. Applicant should review the following documents. It is highly recommended that you do this with the assistance of an attorney.

Allow 3 weeks for processing after submission of completed application package.

Additional License Forms

  • Application for Class K Liquor License – needed if having more than 1 keg at an event. Must be submitted at least five (5) working days in advance of proposed event. There is a $25 license fee.
  • Teen Event License Registration – needed to host an all-teen event pursuant to Section 5-45 (d) of Chapter 5 of the Champaign Municipal Code. Must be submitted at least ten (10) working days prior to event. There is a $10 daily fee or $250 annual fee.
  • Criminal Background Form – This form must be submitted when any managers or officers change within a business that holds a liquor license.

All Ages Music Venues

Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Training

A recent change in state law requires alcohol servers in the State of Illinois (outside Cook County) to obtain Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education Training (BASSET) certification. A variety of training outlets – including online certification classes – are available to individuals who must meet BASSET certification requirements in order to comply with state law. Please visit the Illinois Liquor Control Commission’s web page to learn more about BASSET training requirements and approved training programs.

Due to this state requirement, the Champaign Police Department Alcohol Enforcement Unit no longer conducts TIPS (Training for Intervention ProcedureS) classes for individuals responsible for the service, sale, and consumption of alcohol. However, they will provide supplemental training materials which cover liquor regulation and enforcement issues that are unique to Champaign.  They will also continue to offer BEST Security Training for security staff employed by licensed liquor establishments.

Contact Information

Requirements for different types of liquor license applications are listed below. If you have any questions after reading the information for your type of application, please contact the Liquor Commissioner’s Office: