The Community Relations Office services as an important link between the City Manager’s Office and the community. The Community Relations team ensures equal opportunity and fair treatment for citizens through education regarding and enforcement of the City’s Human Rights Ordinance and Equal Opportunity and Purchasing Ordinance. The Community Relations Office also provides staff support for the City’s Human Relations Commission.
- Human Rights Ordinance Training (Presentation) | (Outline)
- Discrimination Complaints: Learn the process for filing a complaint
- Police Complaint / Commendation
- Equal Opportunity Purchasing Ordinance
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Minority Business Directory
- Minority Business Directory Inclusion Form
- Summer Youth Employment Program – The City of Champaign and Unit 4 School District partners together to provide approximately 200 youth a positive, educational and motivational summer work experience.
- Champaign Community Coalition – The City of Champaign is a proud member of the Champaign Community Coalition, a System of Care Network that includes: local government; law enforcement; juvenile justice; behavioral health; education; child welfare; and community based service providers. This network is designed to identify critical community issues that impact the lives of youth and their families. Effective Systems of Care are family-driven, youth-guided, strength-based, culturally competent, and trauma informed in its philosophy and operation.
The Community Relations Office sponsors two major events annually and participates in several community-building activities throughout the year.
Martin Luther King Jr. Countywide Celebration – Honors Champaign County individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions, consistent with the philosophy and mission of Dr. King in community service, humanitarian work and the promotion of equal rights.
Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards – A celebration recognizing the achievements of Champaign County’s international commitment to agriculture, hospitality, humanitarian relief, human rights, research/education, trade and business.
Human Relations Commission
The Community Relations Office provides staff support for the City’s Human Relations Commission. This nine member panel is responsible for promoting and advising the Champaign City Council on human rights and equal opportunity issues. Click here for more information about the Human Relations Commission, including meeting agendas and minutes.