To seek solutions to policing issues raised by the African American community that will improve community and police relations.
A guiding principle of the Committee shall be the belief that impartial and efficient law enforcement depends upon cooperation and understanding between the African American community and police.
- Foster mutual understanding between the Champaign Police Department and the African American community.
- Promote respect of the diverse opinions and experiences of all Committee members
- Encourage frank, respectful and open discussion free from intimidation.
- Encourage the review, monitoring and resolution of issues that affect the interaction between the Department and the African American community of the City of Champaign.
- Assist the African American community in understanding the rationale behind police policies, procedures and challenges that are faced by police officers in the line of duty.
- Assist the Department in understanding the cultural complexities within the African American community.
- Promote and respect public expression by any of the participating parties regarding particular incidents or policies.
- Recommend methods, approaches, and techniques to encourage and develop an active citizen police partnership in the prevention of crime.
Organizations At-Large City
IETC McWilliams Carter
Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club Vacant (Legal) Finney
Champaign Police Department Gwin Walls
Champaign Housing Authority Nash Dunn
CUAP Vacant (Cobb) Kyles
NAACP Rosales Dodds
Unit 4 Brown Parkland College Williams U of I Student Affairs Vacant Ministerial Alliance (vacant) Vacant Vacant
Community-Police Forum Questions and Responses