To seek solutions to policing issues raised by the African American community that will improve community and police relations.
A guiding principle of the Committee shall be the belief that impartial and efficient law enforcement depends upon cooperation and understanding between the African American community and police.
- Foster mutual understanding between the Champaign Police Department and the African American community.
- Promote respect of the diverse opinions and experiences of all Committee members
- Encourage frank, respectful and open discussion free from intimidation.
- Encourage the review, monitoring and resolution of issues that affect the interaction between the Department and the African American community of the City of Champaign.
- Assist the African American community in understanding the rationale behind police policies, procedures and challenges that are faced by police officers in the line of duty.
- Assist the Department in understanding the cultural complexities within the African American community.
- Promote and respect public expression by any of the participating parties regarding particular incidents or policies.
- Recommend methods, approaches, and techniques to encourage and develop an active citizen police partnership in the prevention of crime.
|Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club||Vacant (Legal)||Finney|
|Champaign Police Department||Gwin||Walls|
|Champaign Housing Authority||Nash||Dunn|
|U of I Student Affairs||Vacant|
|Ministerial Alliance (vacant)||Vacant|
Community-Police Forum Questions and Responses