ADA Grievance Procedures
The City of Champaign has a procedure for processing complaints of alleged violations of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Title II states, in part, that “no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of or be subjected to discrimination” in programs or activities sponsored by the City.
Below is the complaint procedure:
- Person Making Complaint: Any person, including employees of the City, may make a complaint.
- Filing Timeframe: A complaint should be filed within fourteen (14) business days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation. In City employment matters, applicable grievance procedures will be followed.
- To Whom Complaint is Made:Complaints can be made verbally or in writing to the ADA coordinator or to a City department head. If the complaint is made verbally, the ADA coordinator or the City department head shall reduce the complaint to writing.
- If the complaint is made to the department head, such department head shall gather all information relative to the complaint and forward the information gathered to the ADA coordinator.
- The complaint shall at a minimum contain the following information: name, address and phone number of complainant; a brief description of the complaint; requested or suggested relief; and the date of the complaint.
- Further Investigation: Upon receipt of the information, the ADA coordinator shall review the information and determine whether additional information is needed from City staff or the complainant. If further information is required, the ADA coordinator shall request the information within a period of time, not to exceed fourteen (14) calendar days.
- Recommended Disposition: The ADA coordinator shall review the information gathered with the Deputy City Manager for Community Relations and jointly arrive at a written disposition of the complaint.
- Review by City Manager: The City Manager will review the disposition of the complaint if requested to do so by the complainant. Any such request to review shall be made within fourteen (14) calendar days after the disposition was sent or was given to the complainant.
- Communications with Complainant:The ADA coordinator shall communicate either by phone or in writing to the complainant at a minimum of once every two (2) weeks, while the complaint is pending, to advise the complainant as to the status of the complainant.
- The disposition of the complaint shall be reduced to writing and communicated at a meeting between the complainant and the ADA coordinator. The disposition shall additionally inform the complainant that the City Manager will review the disposition if so requested within fourteen (14) days after the disposition has been given or sent to the complainant.
- If the disposition refers to activities that will take place in the future, the ADA coordinator will inform the complainant at the time the corrective measures have been fully implemented.
- Timeframes: The time frames in the complaint procedure shall be adhered to unless the Deputy City Manager for Community Relations allows an extension of the times due to unusual or unforeseen circumstances. Whenever the times have been extended, the Deputy City Manager for Community Relations shall notify the ADA coordinator, who in turn shall notify the complainant.
The City of Champaign complies with the requirements of the American with Disabilities Act in its facilities, activities, programs and services. Upon request, the City can provide auxiliary aids and services to persons with disabilities at no charge.