Administrative Services Division
Administrative Services Office Manager
for FOIA Requests: FOIOcity@champaignil.gov
The Administrative Services Division provides services including customer service, billing and collections, and business licensing, as well as limited Parking program services (parking citations, loading cash keys).
Business Licenses and Permits
All of the following licenses are issued by the Finance Department. If you have any questions about the licenses or the process, please contact the Finance Department at 217/403-8940. For information pertaining to these licenses, please review the City Code. For information regarding building permits contact Building Safety Division.
Please click on the following links to print the application form for many different types of licenses the City provides. You will need to bring your completed application form and any fee due, to the Finance Department at the City Building, 102 N. Neil St., 2nd floor, Champaign – Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm. If you have additional questions, please read the Information for New Businesses FAQ or contact our office at 217.403.8940.
- Alarm Permits & Renewals
- Licensed Commercial Haulers
- Going Out of Business Sales
- Itinerant Merchants/Peddlers
- Junk Yards
- Massage Establishments
- Mobile Food Trucks
- Mobile Food Trucks Vending Locations
- Pawn Shops and Second-Hand Goods
- Places of Amusement
- Relocators (Tow Truck Operators)
The Liquor Commissioner is the Mayor in the City of Champaign, and the bulk of the regulations pertaining to licensed establishments are contained in Chapter 5 of the City Code. Information and applications for different types of liquor licenses can be found on the Liquor License Applications page.
Other licenses and permits
Other licenses and permits not directly affiliated with the City include Birth, Death and Marriage certificates, please contact the Champaign County Clerk. For further information on State of Illinois Licensing requirements see the State Department of Revenue website.
Food and Beverage Tax
The City imposes a .50% tax on prepared foods and alcoholic beverages for immediate consumption. Business are required to collect and remit these taxes to the City on a monthly basis. Please click the link below for Food and Beverage Tax Registration Forms, Remittance forms or FAQ’s
- Article X of the City Code – Prepared Food items and Alcoholic Liquor privilege tax
- Food and Beverage Tax FAQ’s
- Food and Beverage Tax Registration Form
- Food and Beverage Tax Remittance Form
The City imposes a 5% hotel-motel tax on hotel rooms. Hoteliers are required to collect and remit taxes owed to the City on a monthly basis.
- Article VI. of Municipal Code regarding Hotel and Motel Privilege Tax
- Hotel-Motel Tax Registration Form
- Hotel-Motel Tax Remittance Form
Local Motor Fuel Tax
The City imposes a $0.04 per gallon tax on gasoline and diesel purchases. Businesses are required to collect and remit these taxes to the City on a monthly basis. Please click the links below for Local Motor Fuel Tax information and forms.
- Article XIV of the City Code – Local Motor Fuel Tax
- Local Motor Fuel Tax FAQ’s
- Local Motor Fuel Tax Business Registration Form
- Local Motor Fuel Tax Retail Remittance Return Form
- Local Motor Fuel Tax Multiple Location Reporting Form
- Local Motor Fuel Tax Bulk Purchase Remittance Return Form
Sales Tax Rates
The overall sales tax rate for most purchases in the City of Champaign is 9.00%.
Foreclosures and Confirmation Orders
Pursuant to Public Act 96-856
Notices of Foreclosures and Confirmation Orders should be sent to the following address:
Attention: Frederick C. Stavins, City Attorney
102 N. Neil St.
Champaign, IL 61820