A program of the Champaign Area Citizen Corps
The Federal Emergency Management Agency, using the model created by the Los Angles Fire Department, began promoting nationwide use of the Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) concept in 1994. Since then, CERT has been taught in hundreds of communities.
CERT training promotes a partnering effort between emergency services and the people they serve. The goal is for emergency personnel to train members of neighborhoods, community organizations, or workplaces in basic response skills. The mission of the CERT program is to provide education and training to citizens that will help you mitigate natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and public health issues. By doing so, the CERT program hopes to instill a sense of confidence and neighbor helping neighbor approach to dealing with these emergencies.
CERT Training will teach participants to:
- Describe the types of hazards most likely to affect their homes and communities.
- Take steps to prepare themselves for a disaster.
- Identify and reduce potential fire hazards in their homes and workplaces.
- Work as a team to apply basic fire suppression strategies, resources, and safety measures to extinguish a fire.
- Apply techniques for opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating shock.
- Conduct triage under simulated conditions.
- Perform head-to-toe assessments.
- Select and set up a treatment area.
- Employ basic treatments for various wounds.
- Identify planning and size-up requirements for potential search and rescue situations.
- Describe the most common techniques for searching a structure.
- Use Safe techniques for debris removal and victim extrication.
- Describe ways to protect rescuers during search and rescue.
- Communities of Faith
- School Staff
Upcoming Training Schedule
October 22, 25, 29, 30 & November 1, 2012 from 6:00 – 10:00 pm
Attendance at all 5 sessions is required to receive certification.
Training will be conducted at Champaign Fire Station # 6, located at 3911 W. Windsor Road, Champaign. (Near intersection of Windsor and Staley)
The class will be restricted to 20 participants.
A $20 fee will be charged to each participants to cover teaching materials and supplies.
How to Register:
To register for the CERT Training contact Jaymie Huffman at 217-403-8901.
For more information about the Champaign Area CERT Program contact either of the following:
Randy Smith, CERT Manager
Champaign Fire Department
Sgt. Jim Clark
Champaign Police Department