Safety Tips in Our Changing World
Champaign citizens may take several actions to keep themselves and their community aware and safe:
- Be aware of surroundings and watch for unusual activities. Simply by staying alert, risks may be avoided.
- Report packages or bags left unattended.
- Know the locations of emergency exits.
- Never accept packages from persons unknown to you.
- Stay informed.
- Keep a battery-operated radio handy, listen to news reports, and follow directions from the Emergency Operations System.
- Prepare a home readiness kit.
You may be required to stay in your home in the event of a major emergency, natural or manmade. Items to have on hand include:
- Three-day supply of water and ready to eat food.
- First-aid kit, including medications and prescription information.
- Portable radio and extra batteries.
- Make a disaster plan that includes how to contact all family members in an emergency.
Champaign Fire Department (CFD) is a founding member of Champaign Area Citizens Corp. More homeland security information may be received by contacting Deputy Chief Steve Clarkson (firstname.lastname@example.org) – (217) 403-7202.