How to Settle a Bicycle Violation
If you have received a city ordinance violation for a bicycle violation, you have three options to settle the case.
- Pay the fine amount listed on the Notice to Appear within twenty-one days of the violation pursuant to the instructions on the back of the Notice to Appear.
- Appear in court on the court date provided, where you can either contest the violation or plead guilty.
- If this is the first bicycle violation you have received within the City of Champaign, you may elect to participate in a Bicycle Diversion Program. This program is designed to teach bicycle safety and gain compliance to laws regulating movement of bicycles. If you successfully complete the program, your violation will be dismissed.
Bicycle Diversion Program
If you have received your first city ordinance violation for a bicycle violation, you may be eligible to participate in the City of Champaign’s Bicycle Diversion Program. To be eligible for the program, you must not have previously completed the bicycle diversion program through the City of Champaign.
- Within twenty-one days of receiving the violation, register for the Bicycle Diversion Program and follow the instructions on the form. This will take you to a bicycle safety quiz where you must complete the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels (33 questions total).
- Upon successful completion of the safety quiz, send your certificate of completion to the City of Champaign Legal Department, 102 N. Neil, Champaign, IL 61820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When the Legal Department receives your certificate, they will dismiss your violation. However, if your certificate is not received within twenty-one days of the original violation, the Legal Department will proceed with prosecution.
For more information, please contact the City of Champaign Legal Department at email@example.com or (217) 403-8765.