Storefront Improvement Program
Available in both Downtown and East University Avenue TIF Districts [map]
The purpose of the Storefront Improvement Program is to encourage businesses and property owners within the Downtown and East University Avenue TIF Districts to improve their storefronts, making these areas more attractive to shoppers and growing their vitality and economic performance. The program reimburses owners of commercial buildings and businesses up to 50% of the total cost of eligible improvements, for a maximum reimbursement of $10,000 for a single commercial property.
Redevelopment Incentive Program
Available in the East University Avenue TIF District [map]
The Redevelopment Incentive Program (RIP) provides assistance for permanent building improvements, encouragement of residential development, and design work for new structures within the East University Avenue Tax Increment Finance (TIF) District. This program is open to all properties that fall within that TIF district. This program is open on a first-come basis with new funding provided each fiscal year (June 1st). Interested applicants forward their completed application to the Planning Department.
- Minor Facade and Code Improvements
- Major Building Renovations
- Addition or Renovation of Residential Units
- New Construction Assistance Program
- Design Guidelines
Enterprise Zone Program
Note: The new City of Champaign/Champaign County Enterprise Zone is now in effect.
Download a PDF of the new Enterprise Zone Map
The purpose of the Enterprise Zone is to stimulate economic growth and neighborhood revitalization in economically depressed areas of the community. The Enterprise Zone programs contained in this policy share the goals of:
- Promoting job growth
- Encourage reinvestment in declining areas and growing the property tax base
- Encourage infill development and reinvestment in existing building stock
- Establish metrics to allow the programs to be regularly evaluated
The City of Champaign is seeking to reverse decline in its residential neighborhoods, commercial, and employment centers. The Enterprise Zone Programs are intended to provide financial incentives to existing and prospective property owners and tenants to improve the overall appearance of their homes, buildings, or businesses with a particular emphasis on permanent improvements that increase the overall property tax base and expand job opportunities.
- Properties that meet the program guidelines and are located within the Enterprise Zone are eligible to participate in these programs.
- Applicants must be operating legally in accordance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations and be current with all city taxes, fees and licenses.
Enterprise Zone Property Tax Abatement Programs
(New Programs effective January 1, 2016)
The following programs are designed to spur redevelopment across the Enterprise Zone by providing a property tax abatement on the increased value of the project following the redevelopment. The abatement term varies based on the program and the amount of work or employment being generated. The abatement applied to your property taxes from the following agencies; City of Champaign, Champaign County , Champaign Park District, Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, Parkland College and the City of Champaign Township.
Program applications are being developed at this time. We ask that you contact T.J. Blakeman, Senior Planner for Economic Development at 217-403-8800 for details on these programs.
- Targeted Neighborhood Improvement Program
- Affordable Multifamily Housing Program
- Employment Expansion Program
- Historic Structure Rehabilitation Program
- Tourism Development Program
– Note: Properties located within a Tax Increment Finance District are not eligible to receive the property tax abatement but are eligible for the Sales Tax Abatement Program.
Enterprise Zone Sales Tax Abatement Program
Projects that meet the requirements for the Property Tax Abatement Programs are automatically eligible to take advantage of the State of Illinois’ Sales Tax Abatement Program. This program allows for an abatement of all state sales tax for permanent improvement purchased in the State of Illinois. To receive this benefit the project must be an approved Enterprise Zone project and each contractor purchasing equipment must submit an application to receive a sales tax certificate. This certificate is used at the point of sale and is processed by the City of Champaign and issued by the State of Illinois.
For more information on the Enterprise Zone please contact:
T.J. Blakeman, AICP
Senior Planner for Economic Development
City of Champaign Planning and Development Department
102 N. Neil Street