Burglary Prevention Tips
Police stress the value of citizen partnership by remaining alert in your neighborhood and reporting anything unusual or suspicious to the police. During an in-progress emergency, citizens are urged to call 9-1-1. To submit a police report, call METCAD non-emergency at 217-333-8911.
If you wish to discuss any security matters in your neighborhood, please contact the Champaign Police Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-351-4545.
The following safety tips are encouraged to help in burglary prevention efforts:
- See Something, Say Something. Call Police if you see a crime or suspicious activity in your neighborhood.
- Lock It-Hide It-Keep It. Always keep residential and car doors locked when you are at home and when you’re away. Most area vehicle burglaries have occurred to cars that were left unlocked.
- Do not leave your property unattended. Always close your garage doors, remove valuable items from your car and do not leave anything of value accessible for someone else to walk off with.
- Make sure the exterior of your home is well-lit at night. Help light your block by keeping a light on at night or consider a motion-activated light that comes on at the onset of a presence on your property.
- Install deadbolts, double key locks and additional locks for windows and patio doors. Secure any sliding doors by placing a steel rod, broomstick, or dowel inside the door channel.
- Keep records of serial numbers for valuables stored in a safe space or in an electronic database. You may also consider a home engraving kit to mark your property.
- Consider a burglar alarm system that fits your family’s needs.
Prevention Tips for Home
- Always lock exterior doors when at home.
- Lock all exterior doors and close all windows when leaving your home.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked. Always close garage doors after use.
- Secure any sliding doors. Make sure the lock is in working order. Place a steel rod in the door channel.
- Don’t leave unattended property, such as bicycles, outside of your home.
- Make sure the exterior of your house is well-lit at night to discourage would-be burglars.
- Keep records of serial numbers for valuables such as stereos, bicycles and sports equipment.
- Purchase a home engraving kit to mark your property.
- Consider a burglar alarm system.
- Keep shrubs and bushes trimmed.
Prevention Tips for Vehicles
- Lock vehicle doors and take the keys with you when not in use-even in your driveway.
- Don’t leave vehicles running unoccupied.
- Don’t leave unattended personal belongings in plain sight inside your vehicle, no matter where it is parked.
- Install alarms and/or “kill switch” devices in vehicles – a kill switch shuts off the engine.
- Mount electronic equipment so it can be removed and locked in your trunk.
- Don’t leave mail in vehicle with the address label visible.
- At night, always park your vehicle in a well-lit and visible place.