The Champaign Police Department would like to remind citizens of some easy ways to make their homes and vehicles more secure.
Prevention Tips for Home
- Always lock exterior doors when at home.
- Lock all exterior doors and close all windows when leaving your home.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked. Always close garage doors after use.
- Secure any sliding doors. Make sure the lock is in working order. Place a steel rod in the door channel.
- Don’t leave unattended property, such as bicycles, outside of your home.
- Make sure the exterior of your house is well-lit at night to discourage would-be burglars.
- Keep records of serial numbers for valuables such as stereos, bicycles and sports equipment.
- Purchase a home engraving kit to mark your property.
- Consider a burglar alarm system.
- Keep shrubs and bushes trimmed.
Prevention Tips for Vehicles
- Lock vehicle doors and take the keys with you when not in use-even in your driveway.
- Don’t leave vehicles running unoccupied.
- Don’t leave unattended personal belongings in plain sight inside your vehicle, no matter where it is parked.
- Install alarms and/or “kill switch” devices in vehicles – a kill switch shuts off the engine.
- Mount CB radios, tape players and other radio equipment so it can be removed and locked in your trunk.
- Don’t leave mail in vehicle with the address label visible.
- At night, always park your vehicle in a well-lit and visible place.