University District Visitor Parking
Metered parking is available on-street within the University District in both the commercial and residential areas. See the University District Meter Location Map on the Parking Maps page for more details. Rates are $.75 per hour or $1.00 per hour at meters displaying a blue label affixed to the post. The maximum time limit for metered parking in the commercial area is two hours. Ten-hour meters are available in the residential area at a rate of $.75 per hour, and can be identified by the green label affixed to the post.
Payment is required: Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Parking is FREE:
- All Day on Sundays
- On City Holidays: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- From 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Parking is not allowed at on-street metered spaces or in City hourly parking lots from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. for street and lot cleaning activities.
- Meters: Coins and CashKey (cashless way to pay at a meter – go to the CashKey page for more information) accepted.
- MobileMeter: Customers can use the MobileMeter app to pay at City of Champaign parking meters (not available in the Hill Street Parking Deck or at paystations).
- Users can download the app for free at mobilemeter.us the app is available on iOS and Android phones.
- Users may also use the m.mobilemeter.us website to pay or call 217.207.3033.
- MobileMeter users can pay for any length of time at the meter, up to the maximum amount of time allowed per the regulation sticker on the meter.
- There is a $0.25/transaction fee per use.
- Users who load a MobileMeter Wallet to pay for their session, and load $10, will receive $1 free.
Short Term/Temporary Permits:
Short term/temporary permits allow parking at designated 10 hour meters located in the residential area of the University District. Permit holders are exempt from the “no parking 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. restriction.” For more information, see the Short Term/Temporary Permit brochure/application.
- 1 to 4 day permit is $7.50 per day (10 hour meter in residential permit area)
- 5 to 30 day permit is $35.00 (permit parking for 5-30 days is only available in the Boneyard Parking area between First Street and Second Street or Parking Lot S, near Third and Stoughton).
Permits are sold from 8 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Parking Programs Office. The following information is needed to obtain a permit and may be submitted in person, by fax or by email:
- Completed application – available above
- Copy of the vehicle registration card
- Copy of valid driver’s license
If faxing or emailing the application, call the office at (217) 403-4700 to pay via credit card. VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.
Covered Parking/Other Options:
The City of Champaign does not offer any covered parking in the University District. However JSM Management operates the Campus Center Public Parking Deck at 509 E Healey Street.
The parking deck is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With four levels of parking there are plenty of spots available, along with spots specifically designated for motorcycles on the first level. Also on the first level is ample parking for bicycles (free of charge). There are two stairwells on the north and south end of the deck, along with an elevator in the south entrance. Each level’s handicap parking is near the south entrance for your convenience.
The parking deck is fully automated. When entering the deck you will receive a ticket with your entry time. You do not need to display this ticket, but you should keep it in a safe place as you will need it when exiting the deck. Upon your departure you will enter your ticket into the machine, and then make a payment using credit, cash, or a validation ticket.
Hourly parking is available at the following rates:
- 1 – 7 hours @ $1 per hours
- 8 – 12 hours @ $8 flat rate
- 12 – 24 hours @ $10 flat rate
More information on the Campus Center Parking Deck is available at Campus Center Parking Deck