Metered parking is available on-street within the University District in both the commercial and residential areas. See the University District Meter Location Map on the Parking Maps page for more details. Rates are $.75 per hour or $1.00 per hour at meters displaying a blue label affixed to the post. The maximum time limit for metered parking in the commercial area is two hours. Ten-hour meters are available in the residential area at a rate of $.75 per hour, and can be identified by the green label affixed to the post.
Payment is required: Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Parking is FREE:
- All Day on Sundays
- On City Holidays: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- From 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Parking is not allowed at on-street metered spaces or in City hourly parking lots from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. for street and lot cleaning activities.
Visitor Parking Lot:
Lot J, a visitor parking lot, is located at the corner of Sixth and Green Streets (526 E. Green St.).
- Customers may pay for up to 9 hours of parking at one time.
- The rate is $.75 per hour for the first two hours and $1.50 per hour for each additional hour.
- Payment can be made at either one of two pay stations located in the Lot. See the Pay Station Guide for instructions on using the pay stations. Pay stations accept bills, coins, credit or debit (VISA, MasterCard & Discover).
- Payment is required Monday thru Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m., Friday thru Saturday, 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 a.m.
- Parking in the Lot is FREE on Sundays.
- From 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday, visitor parking is not allowed in space #s 83 – 124 in the northwest section of the lot that are signed as “Permit Parking Only”.
- Meters: Coins and CashKey (cashless way to pay at a meter – go to the CashKey page for more information) accepted.
- Pay Stations: Two pay stations are located in Lot J which accept bills, coins, credit or debit (VISA, MasterCard & Discover). To use the Pay Stations:
- Note your stall number
- Proceed to pay station
- Keep your receipt and go to your destination
See the Pay Station Guide for more information.
Short Term/Temporary Permits:
Short term/temporary permits allow parking at designated 10 hour meters located in the residential area of the University District. Permit holders are exempt from the “no parking 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. restriction.” For more information, see the Short Term/Temporary Permit brochure/application.
- 1 to 4 day permit is $7.50 per day
- 5 to 30 day permit is $35.00 (permit parking for 5-30 days is only available in the Boneyard Parking area between First Street and Second Street or Parking Lot S, near Third and Stoughton).
Permits are sold from 8 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Parking Programs Office. The following information is needed to obtain a permit and may be submitted in person, by fax or by email:
- Completed application – available above
- Copy of the vehicle registration card
If faxing or emailing the application, call the office at (217) 403-4700 to pay via credit card. VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.