Metered parking is available on-street within the University District in both the commercial and residential areas. See the University District Meter Location Map on the Parking Maps page for more details. Rates are $.75 per hour or $1.00 per hour at meters displaying a blue label affixed to the post. The maximum time limit for metered parking in the commercial area is two hours. Ten-hour meters are available in the residential area at a rate of $.75 per hour, and can be identified by the green label affixed to the post.
Payment is required: Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Parking is FREE:
- All Day on Sundays
- On City Holidays: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- From 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Parking is not allowed at on-street metered spaces or in City hourly parking lots from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. for street and lot cleaning activities.
- Meters: Coins and CashKey (cashless way to pay at a meter – go to the CashKey page for more information) accepted.
- Pay Stations: Two pay stations are located in Lot J which accept bills, coins, credit or debit (VISA, MasterCard & Discover). To use the Pay Stations:
- Note your stall number
- Proceed to pay station
- Keep your receipt and go to your destination
See the Pay Station Guide for more information.
Short Term/Temporary Permits:
Short term/temporary permits allow parking at designated 10 hour meters located in the residential area of the University District. Permit holders are exempt from the “no parking 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. restriction.” For more information, see the Short Term/Temporary Permit brochure/application.
- 1 to 4 day permit is $7.50 per day
- 5 to 30 day permit is $35.00 (permit parking for 5-30 days is only available in the Boneyard Parking area between First Street and Second Street or Parking Lot S, near Third and Stoughton).
Permits are sold from 8 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Parking Programs Office. The following information is needed to obtain a permit and may be submitted in person, by fax or by email:
- Completed application – available above
- Copy of the vehicle registration card
If faxing or emailing the application, call the office at (217) 403-4700 to pay via credit card. VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.