The first pick-up for this program was December 1, 2010. The program serves residences with five or more units and shared housing, such as fraternities and sororities. Blue containers are provided for participants.
A modest fee of $2.60 per month per residential unit (apartment) has been assessed to the property owner to cover the cost of the program. For group housing (e.g., fraternities and sororities), the fee is $1.30 per resident, based on the capacity of the facility.
In certain circumstances, the City of Champaign may allow temporary exceptions of participation in the multifamily recycling program. A property may qualify if the owner of the property entered into a contract before September 30, 2010, that provides recycling for all residents and commercial tenants in the property. A limited exception may be provided for a property which includes a University affiliated office, and the University of Illinois provides recycling services for that office. Only the commercial space allocated to that office will be considered for exemption. Finally, any building unsuitable for occupancy due to major renovation, reconstruction, or has been condemned may qualify.
Application for Exception
The program includes an expanded list of recyclable materials, including:
- Newspaper and inserts, telephone directories, paperback books
- Corrugated cardboard, fiberboard, chipboard and beverage carrier stock
- Magazines, catalogs
- Residential mixed paper (mail, computer paper, ledger paper, etc.)
- Food & beverage cans, empty aerosol cans (steel, bi-metal)
- Food & beverage cans, foil and trays
- Food & beverage mixed glass containers (flint, brown and green)
- Plastics- PET (#1) – Polyethylene terephthalate containers, natural and pigmented
- Plastics- HDPE (#2) – High density polyethylene containers, natural and pigmented
- Plastics #3 through #7 – Plastic narrow-necked (blow-molded) bottles and 6/12 pack plastic ring carriers
- Plastic grocery bags (empty and loose; bags not bundled inside other bags)
- Aseptic juice boxes and “gable topped” cartons, such as dairy and juice
All recyclables are placed in one cart – no need to separate, Food containers should be rinsed before being placed in the recycling cart.
You cannot recycle:
- Garbage Bags
- Light Bulbs
- Window Glass
- Food Soiled Paper
- Plastic Flower Pots
- Clear Dome Covers from Take-out Food
- Wax Paper
- Medical Supplies of Any Kind
If you have any questions or comments, please contact City staff at Recycling@ci.champaign.il.us or 217-403-4780.