Single Family Recycling
City ordinances provide for curbside recycling to all citizens who live in a single to four-plex residence. This service is provided by your solid waste hauler. (There are 8 licensed solid waste haulers that pick up residential trash/recycling in Champaign; their names & phone numbers can be found at: www.champaignil.gov/utility-service). Your hauler is required to provide recycling as part of your basic service (i.e., they cannot charge extra for recycling) and must accept the following materials:
- glass jars or bottles
- tin cans
- aluminum cans
- HDPE plastic containers (#2)
Starting on January 1, 2017, your solid waste hauler is required to accept ALL of the following items at a minimum:
- Plastics labeled #1 through #7 (no Styrofoam)
- Corrugated cardboard (ex: boxes, the non-contaminated part of a pizza box, etc.)
- Boxboard (ex: cereal, soda, & beer packaging)
- Beverage carrier stock (ex: bottled beer holders & drink carriers from fast food restaurants)
- Magazines, catalogs
- Newspaper & inserts, telephone directories, paperback books
- Residential mixed paper (mail, computer paper, ledger paper, etc.)
- Tin & bi-metal food & beverage cans, empty aerosol cans
- Aluminum food & beverage cans, foil, & trays
- Food & beverage mixed glass containers (clear, flint, brown, & green)
Haulers must provide curbside collection of recyclables at least once a week and cannot count materials toward the “per container cost” of service. Citizens interested in participating in the curbside recycling program should call their solid waste hauler.
Some solid waste haulers provide recycling carts (or totes or bins). Renting or buying a recycling cart from your hauler is optional. Your hauler must provide recycling services whether or not you use their recycling cart (or tote or bin). If your solid waste hauler does not provide recycling carts, but you wish to participate in the program, we suggest purchasing one at a local retailer for a moderate price.
Curbside recycling in Champaign is “co-mingled”, i.e., all of your recyclables can be mixed together and can go into the same recycling cart (or tote or bin) for collection.
For more information, check out this BROCHURE. The City provides FREE recycling stickers for carts or totes. Please call 217.403.4780 for more information.