The City’s Forestry Section is responsible for the planting, pruning and removal of all trees on City rights-of-way. The Forestry Section also conducts periodic public information workshops to inform citizens of tree-related care, needs and issues.
City of Champaign Tree Planting InformationThe planting of trees on public right-of-way in Champaign is regulated by the City vegetation ordinance. This ordinance establishes two ways to plant trees: The first is through Champaign’s share-the-cost tree planting program; the second is through a permit issued to adjacent homeowners or developers.
- Approved Tree Species List for Planting in the City’s Right-of-Way
- Tree Ratings for Ice Storm Damage
- Tree Species Distribution
Tree removal occurs when a tree is dead or dying, a tree is considered irreparably hazardous, a tree is causing an obstruction that is impossible to correct through pruning, a tree is crowding and causing harm to other trees, a tree is to be replaced by a more suitable specimen, or to allow for new construction.
Replacement of removals: When spacing allows, all removals will be replaced at City expense. Exceptions to this rule are:
- Trees less than six inches in diameter, which were not originally planted by the City. These trees may be replaced through the Share-the-Cost Planting Program, or adjacent homeowners may plant using the City’s approved species list.
- When the parkway is too narrow or existing trees too close to the proposed planting site.
Tree Service Requests
The City is responsible for the maintenance of all trees located on the City right-of-way. Service requests for emergency and hazardous tree requests will be handled immediately. Non-emergency requests are typically completed within 6 weeks. Exceptions to this rule are requests for pruning in a section or adjacent section currently scheduled for pruning, or requests for removals, that are not imminently hazardous and can be put on an annual removal contract.
For more information, contact:
City of Champaign
702 Edgebrook Drive
Champaign, IL 61820