Yard Waste & Christmas Tree Collection
Christmas Tree Pickup
Christmas Tree pickup is now complete for the winter season 2016. Your local hauler may pick up your tree or you can recycle them at the Landscape Recycling Center for Free.
- Free Disposal: Trees may be taken to the Landscape Recycling Center (344-5323) at
1210 E. University Avenue in Urbana at no cost during the month of January.
Trees with stands, decorations, tinsel, lights, artificial snow-frost, plastic bags, or any other material that makes the tree non-recyclable WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
Collected trees are chipped and made into garden mulch.
2016 Spring Yard Waste Pickup Guidelines
Watch this page in March 2016 for dates!
- The collection is available to all residential properties within the City limits.
- Materials must be in 30-gallon paper yard waste bags. NO PLASTIC BAGS OR CONTAINERS.
- Twigs and branches may be bundled with non-metallic twine or placed in paper yard waste bags. Branches cannot be larger than 2 inches in diameter and 3 1/2 feet long. Bundles cannot be larger than 18 inches in diameter.
- Materials must be placed within 10 feet of the curb of a public street by 6 a.m. to ensure pickup on your scheduled day.
- On heavier collection days, your pickup may be later than normal or even the next day. If your materials have not been collected by the day after your scheduled collection, please contact Public Works at 403-4776.
- Certain days may allow pickup staff to enter a zone and pickup prior to the scheduled day, however staff will return to the collection zone on the scheduled day.
The Yard Waste Program is primarily intended for the pick-up of your bagged leaves.
Household trash and items will not be picked up; these items include:
- excessive dirt
- broken glass
- discarded pumpkins and vegetation
- potted plants
- pet waste
Additionally, please be sure your bags are not filled beyond the “capacity” line indicated on the side of the bag. Also, bags should not weigh more than 40 lbs. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in your yard waste bags not being collected.
- Please seal your bags as much as possible to prevent loose leaves from escaping. Avoid using duct tape to seal your bags.
- Place your bags away from trees, mailboxes, streetlights, and parked vehicles.
- Do not put your bags out more than a week in advance; especially if rain or snow is being forecasted.
Things to avoid
Helpful bag placement
Fall Yard Waste Pickup
Yard waste is now complete for the fall season 2015. Your local hauler may pick up your bags or you can recycle them at the Landscape Recycling Center for a nominal fee.
Facts about Fall Leaves
Did you know that fall leaves can add valuable nutrients to your lawn and garden? Keep this in mind before spending needless hours bagging your leaves. You may actually be hurting your lawn by removing too much of their natural nutrients.
“Raking and collecting leaves every autumn is a tradition without scientific basis.
Research has proven that mowing leaves into your lawn can improve its vigor.”
The links below provide helpful information regarding mulching yard waste and leaves:
- Recycling Leaves in the Yard
- Improve Your Soil by Raking Less
- Autumn Leaves Can Add Valuable Nutrients to Garden
The City of Champaign sponsors two seasonal yard waste collections (spring and fall) and a Christmas tree collection for all residential properties in the City. The fall yard waste collection provides residents with four collection opportunities, while the spring yard waste collection provides two collection opportunities.
Please note: Burning of leaves in the City of Champaign is prohibited at all times.
Please see Chapter 15, Section 20 of the municipal code.
For questions about yard waste collection:
Public Works Department
702 Edgebrook Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Public Works Hotline: 217-403-8852
For questions about leaf burning:
Champaign Fire Department