The 2015 Spring Yard Waste Collection Has Ended
The City’s next Yard Waste Collection will occur in the fall. Please be aware that any yard waste left by the curb may be picked up by your individual trash hauler for a fee.
Get notified of all future yard waste collection dates by signing up for the yard waste information email list.
The City of Champaign sponsors two seasonal yard waste collections and a Christmas tree collection for all residential properties in the City. The fall yard waste collection provides residents with four collection opportunities, while the spring yard waste collection provides two collection opportunities.
Please note: Burning of leaves in the City of Champaign is prohibited at all times.
Please see Chapter 15, Section 20 of the municipal code.
2015 Spring Yard Waste Pickup
The City of Champaign 2015 Spring Yard Waste Collection has been scheduled and will start with the Orange Zone on Monday, March 30, 2015. Blue Zone collections will begin on Monday, April 6, 2015. Collections will continue to alternate on subsequent weeks through April 24, 2015. Please note that Zones have been reworked since last year’s pickup.
- The collection is available to all residential properties within the City limits.
- Materials must be in 30-gallon paper yard waste bags. NO PLASTIC BAGS OR CONTAINERS.
- Twigs and branches may be bundled with non-metallic twine or placed in paper yard waste bags. Branches cannot be larger than 2 inches in diameter and 3 1/2 feet long. Bundles cannot be larger than 18 inches in diameter.
- Materials must be placed within ten feet of the curb of a public street by 6 a.m. to ensure pickup on your scheduled day.
- On heavier collection days, pickup may be later than normal or even the next day. If materials have not been collected by the day after the scheduled collection, please contact the Public Works at 217.403.4700 to report.
For residents outside the City, or for materials not fitting the above requirements, landscape materials may be taken (for a fee) to the Landscape Recycling Center at 1210 E. University Avenue in Urbana (217.344.5323).
Restricted Items for Yard Waste Collection
The Yard Waste Program is primarily intended for the pick-up of your bagged leaves.
Household trash and items will not be picked up; these items include:
- excessive dirt
- broken glass
- discarded pumpkins and vegetation
- potted plants
- pet waste
Additionally, please be sure your bags are not filled beyond the “capacity” line indicated on the side of the bag. Also, bags should not weigh more than 40 lbs. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in your yard waste bags not being collected.
- Please seal your bags as much as possible to prevent loose leaves from escaping. Avoid using duct tape to seal your bags.
- Place your bags away from trees, mailboxes, streetlights, and parked vehicles.
- Do not put your bags out more than a week in advance; especially if rain or snow is being forecasted.
For questions about yard waste collection:
Public Works Department
702 Edgebrook Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Public Works Hotline: 217-403-8852
For questions about leaf burning:
Champaign Fire Department
City of Champaign Christmas Tree Recycling and Collection (January)
The City of Champaign Christmas Tree Recycling and Collection program offers two options to recycle your Christmas tree.
Free Disposal: Trees may be taken to the Landscape Recycling Center (344-5323) at 1210 E. University Avenue in Urbana at no cost during the month of January.
Collection: City residents may participate by placing their tree within four feet of the curb by 6 a.m. on their scheduled collection day.
City residents may participate by placing their tree within four feet of the curb by 6 a.m. on their scheduled collection day. Click on either picture below for a printable version of this page.
Trees with stands, decorations, tinsel, lights, artificial snow-frost, plastic bags, or any other material that makes the tree non-recyclable WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
Collected trees are chipped and made into garden mulch.