Interested in Law Enforcement?
The Department’s Explorer program is an avenue for youth and young adults interested in careers in law enforcement, to gain a better understanding of these professions and experience them first hand. Invaluable classroom instruction and hands-on training are provided in this program.
As a member of Explorer Post #258 participants will participate in community service activities and train in multiple areas including but not limited to:
- Building Searches
- Traffic Stops
- Accident Investigation
- Firearms Training
- Drug Awareness
- Control Tactics
- Use of Force
- Arrest, Search, and Seizure
- Evidence Collection and Processing
Participating in the Explorer Program is a great way to:
- Discover if law enforcement is something that interests you.
- Build confidence, discipline, teamwork and social skills while having a great time.
- Gain first-hand knowledge of the challenges, duties, and job skills needed to be a police officer.
- 14 – 20 years old
- Remain in good academic standing (“C” average or better)
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Parental approval must be obtained, if under 18 y/o.
In order to remain in good standing with the Explorer Post, members must:
- Attend regular meetings being held every other Tuesday of each month
- Must maintain passing grades per the grading policy
- All other requirements as assigned
- Perform Community Service
For more information about the Police Explorer’s Program contact Sergeant Dennis Baltzell (217) 403-6946 or Mary Mullen at (217) 403-6911.
We are NOT currrently accepting new explorers at this time. However, applications will be kept on file and interested applicants will be contacted for the next orientation session.
Applications can be mailed or faxed to:
Champaign Police Department
ATTN: Mary Mullen
82 E. University Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Fax: (217) 403-6924
Additional information about the Exploring Learning for Life program can be found at http://exploring.learningforlife.org/services/career-exploring/law-enforcement/